In this episode, we welcome on stage Colin White to introduce us Coil, COroutines Image Loader. Coil is an Android image loading library that recently hit the 1.0 milestone, completely written in Kotlin and with first class support for Kotlin Coroutines. In this episode, Colin tells us challenges, fun facts and future projects for this library.
Enjoy the show 👨🍳
- 00:20 Intro
- 01:06 Episode Start
- 02:00 Colin’s Introduction
- 02:45 What is Coil?
- 04:12 How you came up with Coil?
- 08:05 Coil <3 Kotlin
- 09:36 The challenges of image loading
- 13:08 What’s the faster library?
- 16:17 Screenshot Testing
- 17:48 We all love animated GIFs
- 19:53 Coil & Jetpack Compose
- 21:30 What’s the roadmap for Coil?
- 23:31 Debug Tools
- 25:32 Prefetching and Animating
- 28:58 Challenges in the Open Source ecosystems
- 30:42 How to contribute?
- 32:24 The future of Coil
- 34:09 Learning Coil
- 35:17 Where to find Colin online?
- coil-kt/coil on Github
- Coil Documentation
- Benchmarking Image Loading Libraries on Android
- @colinwhi on Twitter