Welcome to a special in-person episode of The Developers’ Bakery, recorded live in Amsterdam at Google IO Connect.
There, I had the privilege of having on stage Boris Farber and Tomáš Mlynarič from Google and they will tell us What’s New in Android. As I’m a big fan of build tool, in this episode we’re going to delve into some of the updates for popular devtools for Android: Android Studio, Android Gradle Plugin (AGP), Gradle KTS and much more.
We’ll have also the opportunity to discover Baseline Profiles, a new mechanism to boost the performance of your Android apps.
Enjoy the show 👨🍳
- 00.00 Intro
- 00.45 Episode Start
- 01.39 Tomáš’ Introduction
- 02.22 Boris’ Introduction
- 02.47 What’s New in Android?
- 04.02 Gradle KTS
- 05.51 Gradle Version Catalog
- 08.06 Android Gradle Plugin (AGP)
- 10.02 Java 17
- 12.21 Alpha, beta and stable releases
- 15.18 What are Baseline Profiles?
- 19.08 What does a Baseline Profile look like?
- 20.29 How to create a Baseline Profile?
- 22.51 Which flows to include in a Baseline Profile?
- 25.28 Baseline Profiles for Library Authors
- 27.53 Performance wins
- 28.49 Where is the Android code?
- 30.47 How to contribute to Android?
- 33.33 Reporting a bug for Android
- 35.07 Too many bug reports!
- 37.03 Effective triaging
- 38.32 Reproducers
- 39.21 Which future for Gradle on Android?
- 40.53 Further reading
- 42.44 Docs for KTS migration
- 43.54 Where people can find you online?
- Google IO - What’s New in Android
- Mentioned Resources:
- @borisf on GitHub
- @borisfarber on Twitter
- Boris’ website
- @mlykotom on GitHub
- @mlykotom on Twitter